Tuesday 6 April 2010

Something other than a card........


Hi Blogger's,

I was so pleased to receive my new stamps from GKD Thursday before the long week-end. Which, was just under two weeks from ordering!!! Painful......but that's what happens when you live in the best country in the world!!!! OK ...settle down ..... we think it's the best....a long way away though.

I've only played with one set so far, Nina Brackett's new set Nana's Needlework. I think I told you before this card making bug bit me I made quilts, quite a few quilts. I loved the process of cutting beautiful fabric to re-join it in a different way, or using scraps of fabric and hand stitching... applique. Anyway after the first quilt I made I thought I should keep notes for each quilt in a note book. I'd write about where I found the fabric I was using and things that were going on during the making of the quilt. Some of my quilts were well travelled!!!

Gina K showed this folder on her site made to keep holiday photos before scrapbooking them and I thought it would make a great quilt journal. Didn't do anything until I saw Nina's set......

I used SU Kraft for the base of my folder with a layer of brown American Craft card followed by the dp which I think is a Kaisercraft (sorry). I stamped the quilt onto GKD pure luxury pure white. I got to pick how the plain squares were decorated as the set comes with four small stamps to pick your own design. I've coloured with Copics and cut the quilt out. Much quicker than sewing a quilt!!!
I computer generated the title and printed it out on peppermint card before adhering the quilt. This is then matted to a scalloped piece of the brown card and added to the top fold of the folder.


I've made up a few index cards using the computer adding a quilt name, the date completed and lines ready for my condensed notes. I've also added a small picture of the quilt in the bottom corner. I'm actually going to change these cards a little, here I printed four to one sheet of card stock but think I might like them slightly larger. I plan to add a larger photograph of the quilt clipped to the back of each card. Once I've got this organised I'll be making some up for the craft girls - perfect gift!!!


This project is my entry to Just Add Ink's Challenge 11 . Go take a look.

I've made a couple of other cards, one I'm especially happy with but can't show yet!!! Watch this space..............

Till next time......

Edit: Sorry meant to add a link for the folder! You can find it HERE


14 comments:

The Other Patti Sue said...

You are such a tease... I'll be watching! This is a fab. design!

Juls said...

sub a fab and creative idea, and so beautifully done! Love it!! Hugs Juls

Brenda said...

sue what a fabulous idea!!! I love the colors and your coloring is wonderful!

Nilla said...

This is fabulous! What a great idea! I am glad you are feeling better now, hope we will have another chance to meet! Hugs Nilla

Robyn said...

What a super sweet stamp set and I love what you have made with it! Obviously your mega talent goes WAY beyond beautiful cards!

craftieodmae said...

How fantastic! You are so talented. Can't wait to see. Quilts, WOW!

Lesley said...

wow that is a great little project ... love it

CathyC said...

such a great idea! love your quilts!
I have just recently been bitten by the quilt bug, and am about to embark on my first serious quilted item - a throw pillow for my bed ;-)

Christine Blain said...

Gorgeous project - LOVE it!

Theresa's Studio said...

This is a great idea for saving info about your quilts. I would love to see your quilts. My Mother has made beautiful quilts ...so many she has...I will try and do a journal like this for as I have pictures of most of them. Love how you have decorated the journal....now I must have this stamp set. TFS

Danielle Daws said...

What a fantastic idea! This would also be great for planning a scrapbook album. Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Wow, Sue, this is an amazing project! I wish I was sewing talented. Quilts are such beautiful works of art!

MicheyMoo said...

I was so sure I'd already left a comment here....but I can't find it. :(
What a great project Sue....I love it and have saved the link for the folder's download. Thankx for sharing. xx

Marcia @ Pretty Things said...

Browns and blues ... can't go wrong. Love it.

And yes, I agree, best country in the world to live in!

:) Marcia